Healthy Election DayPrint Page
Election Day is just around the corner. Celebrate this historical event with fun movement and healthy treats. Check out these ideas to help your classroom celebrate.
Running for Office
- Gather clothes that students can use to dress up like an elected official, including suits, ties, hats, wigs, glasses, etc.
- Pick a space where students have room to run such as the playground, gymnasium or hallway.
- Pick 2-5 presidents or elected officials. Describe and share the history and fun facts of these people that the students will dress up as.
- Split the class into groups (one group per elected official).
- Ask each group to form a line, and spread them out to give space for the activity.
- Place the clothing 10-15 yards away from the start line. On “Go!” the first student in line races to the clothing and must quickly get dressed as the prerson.
- Once dressed, the “elected official” runs back to the start line, where he/she removes the clothing.
- The next student in line gets dressed and races to the other side, where he/she removes the clothing before running back to the start line.
- Rotate through each student in the group to dress up as the elected official.
- The first group to have all its members dressed as that person wins!
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 5 bamboo skewers/flag
- Wash the blueberries and strawberries.
- Peel the bananas and cut them into slices.
- Remove the leaves from the strawberries and cut them in half.
- On 3 skewers, gently slide each piece of fruit onto each skewer in this order: 1 strawberry, 1 banana, alternating until top
- On the two remaining skewers, follow the same directions, ending with 5 blueberries on top (see image for detail).
- Admire your flag and serve!
Recipe adapted from Super Healthy Kids.
Invite a local elected official to come in to speak with the class. Have them share their favorite healthy snack or exercise.