Only one in three kids gets physical activity each day, yet most kids spend an average of seven hours on screens daily. We make sure kids get the recommended sixty minutes of physical activity through PE, play, and more.
Movement and activity—including imaginative play, classroom brain breaks, recess, sports, PE, and more—is absolutely vital for kids’ well-being. Exercise boosts mental health and positive feelings; promotes social engagement and teamwork; and develops strength, flexibility, agility, and heart health. It also stimulates brain activity, allowing for better performance in school.
But over 80 million people over age six in the U.S. are physically inactive. Since kids spend over 1,200 hours a year in school, schools should be focused on making sure physical activity is incorporated throughout the day. However, according to a CDC report, less than 15% of schools require the recommended weekly minutes of PE and only 48% offered physical activity clubs or activities. Additionally, only 22% of high schools had students take activity breaks and 33% of elementary schools did not offer daily recess.
What is AFHK doing?
Our EnergizEd program helps schools implement policies for comprehensive physical activity and active play. We do this by:
- Building strong family-school partnerships that support comprehensive physical activity policies and programs at school, including PE, before- and after-school activities, classroom brain breaks, and more.
- Providing district staff with training and support to improve physical activity policies and practices.
- Awarding school grants and providing assistance so that schools can implement new initiatives and programs that build opportunities for movement into the day and promote the connection of physical activity with social emotional health.
- Creating resources and activities that anyone can use at home or at school to promote active play and exercise.
How you can help:
No matter who you are, you can help make sure kids are spending more time moving and seeing the all-around health benefits of being physically active.
- Donate today to support our work providing grants, resources, and education to the school communities that need our help the most.
- Partner with us to bring physical activity to even more schools and families.
- Learn more about how you can make an impact on physical activity and play as a parent or caregiver.
- Explore our resources to see how you can get kids active in fun and creative ways.
Social Studies With a Side of Snowshoes: Walking Their Way to a Healthy Education
All it takes is pedometers and snowshoes for students at Benjamin Cosor Elementary to be able to “walk across America” during their lessons. Learn more about how they incorporate physical activity during the school day.
Read their story