Badminton, Boochie, and Crocodile Hop: Grants Get Students Moving at Three Pennsylvania Schools
Thanks to our sponsors, Action for Healthy Kids has provided $8.7 million in grants to schools since 2009 to help them accomplish their student wellness goals. See the full list of grant-funded schools for the 2019-2020 school year!
Read on for grant descriptions, sign up for our emails to stay up to date, and find out how schools like yours are putting their grants to work. Check back in February 2020 for info on grant opportunities for the 2020-2021 school year.
School Breakfast Grants
School breakfast is more than a meal: It helps fight hunger, improves student focus, and reduces absenteeism. Your school can introduce or expand a school breakfast program with grants for $1,000, $2,000, or $3,000. Whether it's breakfast in the classroom, grab-and-go breakfast, or another breakfast program, help your students start their day right. Grants are available in all states. Applications are closed for the 2019-2020 school year, so sign up for alerts.
Game On Grants
In order to get every kid healthy and ready to learn, our Game On grants provide funding and resources for schools to improve or introduce new nutrition and physical activity programs. With a $1,000 grant, you can build a school garden, get equipment for active recess, host taste tests and other nutrition promotion, start a before- or after-school activity club, and more.
Parents for Healthy Kids Grants
Parents: Here’s your chance to make your mark on school health! Apply for a $1,000 parent-led school grant that will provide funds and resources to revamp or introduce fitness, nutrition, and other wellness programs so that all students have access to healthy choices. Grants are for physical activity or nutrition initiatives. Schools with greater than 50% of students eligible for free/reduced-priced meals may receive priority, as well as schools located within 15 miles of an ALDI store, but all schools are encouraged to apply. Applications are closed for the 2019-2020 school year, so sign up for alerts.
Questions? Contact your AFHK State Coordinator or email ContactUs@ActionforHealthyKids.org.
Applying for a grant is easy
Steps to Apply
- Determine for which grant(s) your school will apply. Review the application and application instructions.
- Register for the grant webinar(s) to learn about specific grant details and eligibility requirements, and receive helpful tips for applying.
- We recommend that you complete a paper application with your school health team prior to submitting your application online. Once the paper application is complete, it will take ~30 minutes to submit online.
- Log in to or create an account on the school portal. Applications must be submitted online.
- Once there, connect your account with the school(s) for which you are applying. To do this, click on My Profile, then the Add or Manage Schools button.
- Click on Grants, and select the grant(s) for which your school would like to apply. Then, complete your application!
Getting 60 Minutes of Play Per Day
Banks Road Initiative Sows Love for Gardening
Sign up for emails to stay up to date about future grants:Sign up!