Action for Healthy Kids Announces 2015 Healthy School Hero Award Winners
CHICAGO (Sept. 23, 2015) – Action for Healthy Kids (AFHK) announces the 2015 Healthy School Hero Award winners, recognized for their work to improve health, nutrition and physical activity among students nationwide during the 2014-2015 school year. Since 2004, AFHK has recognized educators, parents, health professionals, and community leaders for their exceptional dedication and service towards the vision, mission, and goals of AFHK – to make Every Kid Healthy™ – through volunteer work in their schools and communities.
This year’s 13 winners were nominated by their peers as driving forces behind school wellness initiatives. They represent the many faces of individuals across the country helping to create healthier school environments for students today, from a school counselor and PE teacher to a food service director and parent. The winners are:
- TracyAnn Costello, Parent Volunteer, Indian Valley Elementary School (Willis, VA)
- Thomas Esparza III, Physical Education Teacher, Central Elementary School (Las Cruces, NM)
- Tara Fisher-Munoz, Parent Volunteer, Wells Branch Elementary (Austin, TX)
- Kathryn Foreman, Parent Volunteer, West Jefferson Middle School (Conifer, CO)
- David Genova, District Wellness Coordinator, Pottstown School District (Pottstown, PA)
- Sarah Kieszkowski, Wellness Champion and Teacher, Spencer Technology Academy (Chicago, IL)
- Megan McDermott, Former Wellness Champion and Teacher, Spencer Technology Academy (Chicago, IL)
- Heike Mertens-Tuplin, 4th Grade Teacher, Academy Avenue Primary School (Weymouth, MA)
- Mel Milliron, Health Educator, Trumbull County Health Department (Warren, OH)
- Terri Pitts, Physical Education and Health Teacher, Colonial Hills Elementary (San Antonio, TX)
- Debora Settle, Physical Education Teacher, Town Creek Elementary School (Lexington Park, MD)
- Janice Tyson, School Counselor, Oxmoor Valley Elementary (Birmingham, AL)
- Tammy Yarmon, Director of Nutrition Services, Omaha Public Schools (Omaha, NE)
“At the core of Action for Healthy Kids are thousands of committed and passionate volunteers who help create healthier learning environments for the nation’s young students,” said Rob Bisceglie, CEO of Action for Healthy Kids. “It is always difficult to choose the winners from so many outstanding nominees. These individuals are exemplary in their efforts to affect change in their schools and communities to ensure students are healthy and ready to learn each day.”
The award winners are being recognized for a wide range of accomplishments, from building community gardens and teaching students and their families about sustainable living, to hosting school health trainings and creating food programs that ensure students don’t go hungry during the summer months. Read their stories at actionforhealthykids.org/Heroes, and learn how to volunteer in your own school, start a wellness program, and create a healthier school environment by visiting www.actionforhealthykids.org.
About Action for Healthy Kids®
Action for Healthy Kids® is a nationwide grassroots network supporting school-based healthy eating and physical activity improvements that increase academic success. With funding opportunities, expert technical assistance and our flagship program, Game On, we mobilize schools, administrators and parents to develop healthy school environments for children. To learn more about the ways our 90,000+ volunteer network is helping to make Every Kid Healthy™, visit us at www.ActionforHealthyKids.org, on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/act4healthykids) and on Twitter (https://twitter.com/Act4HlthyKids).
Categories: News & Press Releases