Making Health a Priority and Meaning It
Thanks to our sponsors, Action for Healthy Kids has provided $8.7 million in grants to schools since 2009 to help them accomplish their student wellness goals. See the full list of grant-funded schools for the 2019-2020 school year!
Read on for grant descriptions and applications, sign up for our emails to stay up to date, and find out how schools like yours are putting their grants to work. The grant application period has been extended to May 1, 2020, though we will be reviewing grant applications on a rolling basis. If you are able to submit your application before the extended deadline, please do so. See below for steps on how to apply.
Please be aware that all grant webinar recordings below include the original application deadline of April 3, 2020. However, due to COVID-19, this deadline has been extended to May 1, 2020. For a list of all updated grant due dates, check out each grant's instruction guide below.
Game On Grants
In order to get every kid healthy and ready to learn, our Game On grants provide funding, support, and resources for schools to increase physical activity and nutrition initiatives while promoting students’ social emotional learning.
Game On grants available:
•$1000 physical activity OR nutrition projects (PreK-12 schools in all states are eligible to apply)
•$2,500 for physical activity AND nutrition projects (PreK-12 schools in all states are eligible to apply)
•$2,500 for nutrition only: requires two nutrition projects, one being an evidence-based nutrition education curriculum (PreK-8 schools are eligible to apply in the following states: CA, NE, AR, TX, CO, KS, TN, PA, WI, MN, IA. See application instruction guide for priority cities.)
Parents for Healthy Kids Grants
Parents: Here’s your chance to make your mark on school health! Apply for a Parent for Healthy Kids grant that will provide funds and support to increase physical activity or nutrition initiatives while promoting students’ social emotional learning and engaging parents in school wellness. Grant funding starts at $1000. Parents or parent groups must apply for the grant (either for physical activity or nutrition) and lead projects in partnership with the school. Schools with greater than 74.5% of students eligible for free/reduced-priced meals may receive priority, as well as schools located within 20 miles of an ALDI store, but all PreK-12 schools within eligible states are encouraged to apply. Eligible states: AL, AR, CA, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MA, MD, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OK, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT, WI, WV.
Game On: Social Emotional Health Grants (Military Communities)
The goal of Game On: Social Emotional Health Grants is to support schools in implementing school-based programs and practices that explore the mind-body connection between physical and emotional health and help to develop resiliency in students. Schools will implement strategies and best practices that support social and emotional well-being, while bringing families and schools together to build the capacity of both groups and implement changes that improve the school community culture with health-promoting policies and practices. Awards range from $2,500 - $5,000.
Military communities ONLY: Pre-K-12 schools serving military families are eligible to apply.
Schools serving students with 75% or more of students eligible for free/reduced-priced meals and/or located in CA, FL, IL, MD, NC and TX may receive priority. Multiple schools in one district applying for the same or similar projects are encouraged.
If interested in applying or with questions, connect with Program Manager, Ashley Green, at email@example.com to discuss eligibility.
Grant Instruction Guides
See instructions below for officially applying via the School Portal. These paper versions will help you and your school health team get your thoughts together.
- Game On – $2,500 Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Game On – $1,000 Nutrition
- Game On – $1,000 Physical Activity
- Parents for Healthy Kids – Nutrition
- Parents for Healthy Kids – Physical Activity
- Game On: Social Emotional Health Grant Application and Instructions - $2,500-$5,000
- Game On- $2,500 Nutrition
General Grant Resources
- Step-by-step guide on how to complete a grant application.
- AFHK School Grants Frequently Asked Questions
- Learn more about the AFHK school support services for grantees.
- Find out how AFHK nutrition grants help promote the social emotional learning (SEL) of students.
- Find out how AFHK physical activity grants help promote the social emotional learning (SEL) of students.
Questions? Contact your AFHK State Coordinator or email ContactUs@ActionforHealthyKids.org.
Applying for a grant is easy
Steps to Apply
- Determine which grant(s) your school will apply for. Review the application and application instructions under School Grant Resources.
- Game On grant applicants must complete the School Health Survey as the first step.
- Register for the grant webinar(s) to learn about specific grant details and eligibility requirements, and receive helpful tips for applying. See School Grant Resources for webinar registration links.
- We recommend that you complete a paper application (see above for School Grant Resources) with your school health team prior to submitting your application online. Once the paper application is complete, it will take ~30 minutes to submit online.
- Log in to or create an account on the school portal. Applications must be submitted online.
- Once there, connect your account with the school(s) for which you are applying. To do this, click on My Profile, then the Add or Manage Schools button.
- Click on Grants, and select the grant(s) for which your school would like to apply. Then, complete your application!
Grant Funding Catalyzes Community Support for Health
From Rooftop to Recess
Sign up for emails to stay up to date about future grants:Sign up!