Meatless Meatballs with Zucchini Noodles
This plant-based spaghetti and “meatball” dish is a lighter, vegetarian-friendly take on the classic dinnertime favorite.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- ¼ cup chopped garlic
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 slices of toasted, whole-grain bread
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups walnuts
- ¼ cup milled flax seed
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon iodized salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large zucchini, spiralized
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups marinara pasta sauce
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- For the meatballs: In a medium sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, garlic and mushrooms until golden and pan is dry. Remove from heat.
- In a food processor, add the toasted bread and pulse until finely ground.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until consistency of ground beef. Form 28 balls and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In batches, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Sauté 1/3 of the zucchini for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from pan and keep warm. Repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and 2/3 zucchini. Plate zucchini, top with sauce and meatballs.
TIP: To make this a gluten free recipe, replace the bread with whole grain gluten-free bread.
Recipe courtesy of the ALDI test kitchen. Visit ALDI.us for more kid-friendly recipes!