Fresh Avocado Pasta
It’s not just another pasta night when you cook these healthy noodles with a Latin twist.
- 1 avocado, mashed (1/2 cup)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground sea salt
- ½ cup black beans
- ½ cup sweet corn
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Vegan Cream Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons pure olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup halved grape tomatoes
- ground sea salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- For the avocado pasta: In a small bowl, whisk together avocado and water.
- Place the flour on a clean surface and mix with salt. Create a well in the center and add avocado mixture.
- Using a fork, slowly incorporate flour into avocado mixture until a dough forms.
- Have your child help with kneading the dough.
- Knead for 10 minutes on a lightly floured surface, until dough is smooth. If dough becomes too dry, add a little water. If dough becomes too wet, add a little flour. Form into a disc and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 4 pieces. On a clean surface, dusted with flour, roll out 1 piece of pasta dough at a time. Roll in one direction to make a long sheet. Dough should be almost see through.
- Dust sheet with flour. Starting with the shorter end, roll dough upon itself. Cut into desired thickness. Repeat with remaining pieces. Set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- For the vegan cream sauce: Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 1 minute. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Stir in flour and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in almondmilk. Continue whisking until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt and spices. Continue cooking for 2 minutes. Keep warm.
- Working in batches, cook pasta in boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Drain and place in a large bowl. Toss together with sauce, black beans, corn and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of the ALDI test kitchen. Visit ALDI.us for more kid-friendly recipes!