Dad’s Sloppy Turkey Sandwich
Kids will love this healthy upgrade of a classic camp favorite.
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon iodized table salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup chunky marinara pasta sauce
- 19.2 ounces 93% lean fresh ground turkey
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- In a large sauté pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, carrot and celery until softened, about 8 minutes. Add zucchini and red pepper and continue cooking until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds. Add spices, stir until fragrant. Transfer vegetable mixture to a blender along with barbecue sauce and chunky marinara. Blend until smooth.
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, cook ground turkey, about 10 minutes. Stir in sauce, bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Serve with hamburger buns, or over rice or mashed potatoes.
Recipe courtesy of the ALDI test kitchen. Visit ALDI.us for more kid-friendly recipes!