6 Ways to Get Your Family Moving
Exercise is one of the keys to keeping your family healthy. Regular physical activity can help kids improve fitness, build strong bones and muscles, reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression, and reduce the risk of health conditions such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. Whether indoors or outdoors, these 5 energy-filled activities will be sure to motivate your kids and help both of you channel that extra cooped up energy.
- Bike to School: It’s an opportunity for parents and students to connect outside of school hours and allow students to improve their bicycle skills. What parent wouldn’t want that? https://www.actionforhealthykids.org/activity/bike-to-school/
- Do yoga as a Family: Yoga is really easy to teach even to a small child. Teach your kids about what stretches and improves muscles, and how to look after their bodies at this age. This helps them eat healthier and feel better in the short term. It also sets up healthy habits for their long term.https://www.actionforhealthykids.org/activity/exploring-imagination-play-based-yoga/
- Join a local sports league: Time spent on sports builds skills like teamwork, collaboration, and problem solving – qualities that last a lifetime. With exercise, you’ll find that your kids are more likely to build self-confidence and agency. https://www.bgca.org/programs/sports-recreation
- Family Fitness Classes: Give your kids at least 30 minutes of active play per day, that they are not currently getting through school sports or other activities. Improving the amount of physical activity they do reduces the risk of preventable health conditions. https://www.actionforhealthykids.org/activity/family-fitness-night/
- Start a walking program: Walking is one of the easiest exercises for kids as it uses no specialized gear or facilities. If you exercise with your children, they will benefit greatly from the bonding time, and you can be a great role model and teach them the importance of moving their bodies and staying healthy. https://www.actionforhealthykids.org/activity/walking-programs/
- STEAM Activities: STEAM refers to activities that integrate science, technology, engineering, arts, and/or mathematics. Incorporating STEAM activities into everyday learning and play provides children with unique opportunities to create and experiment. https://www.actionforhealthykids.org/activity/summer-steam-easy-low-prep-steam-activities/
Keep these tips in mind:
- Do it together: get involved in activities that you can do together.
- Think outside the box: If a child shows interest, follow up. Ask friends and neighbors what they do with their kids. Try a variety of activities and allow your kids to pick something they are interested in.
- Pick an activity that everyone can take part in, and you will be amazed how much fun you will have together.