2014-2015 School Grants for Healthy Kids
Through partners CSX Transportation, Kellogg Company, Kellogg’s Company Fund, and the Walmart Foundation, Action for Healthy Kids is pleased to release its School Grants for Healthy Kids opportunities for the 2014-2015 school year. Around 1,000 schools will be awarded funds ranging from $500 to $5,000 to support school breakfast and physical activity programs. Funded schools will also receive expertise and people power to help implement a successful project that leads to sustainable change.
Award amounts will be based on building enrollment, project type, potential impact, and a school’s ability to mobilize parents and students around school wellness initiatives. Grants are available in select states as listed below.
What schools need to know to apply:
Interested schools are invited to attend a webinar to learn more about the available grant opportunities for 2014-2015 and receive tips for applying. NOTE: The archived webinar will be available here.
The following grants are available:
ALL STATES – School breakfast program pilot and/or expansion – to include alternative breakfast programs (i.e., breakfast in the classroom, grab and go breakfast, breakfast after 1st period, breakfast on the school bus) and universal breakfast programs. Average grant size is $1,400 per school. IMPACT: Schools must realize an increase in daily ADP of school breakfast program by 25%, and must provide information to students/parents on nutrition and caloric content of foods available. Schools must also join the celebration during Every Kid Healthy Week by hosting a family-friendly health-promoting event during April 2015. (Note: Multiple schools within a district are encouraged to apply. Schools must participate in the National School Lunch Program and National School Breakfast Program; and must have a free/reduced priced meal eligibility greater than 50% to be eligible. Priority selection will be given to schools with student enrollment greater than 500 students).
- SELECT States (CA, CO, CT, DC/MD/VA, FL, GA, IL, KY, LA, MA, MI, MN, MS, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TX, WA) - Universal School Breakfast Pilot – Provides funding to pilot a universal alternative breakfast program in 2-3 schools in a district such that successes can be expanded to multiple schools within the district over three school years. Grant size is $2,000 - $2,500 with potential for future funding to other district schools. IMPACT: Schools must realize an increase in daily ADP of the new universal breakfast program to target 85% or greater, and must provide information to students/parents on nutrition and caloric content of foods available. Schools must also join the celebration during Every Kid Healthy Week by hosting a family-friendly health-promoting event during April 2015. (NOTE: Schools must participate in the National School Lunch Program and National School Breakfast Program; and must have a free/reduced priced meal eligibility greater than 60% to be eligible).
Steps to Apply
- Schools are encouraged to download and complete the paper application with their grant team. Once completed, proceed to the online grant portal to submit your official application. NOTE: Paper applications will not be accepted.
- Districts interested in submitting applications for multiple schools must complete individual applications for each school.
- Once the paper application is complete, it will take ~30 minutes to submit online.
- July 31, 2014 – Applications Due
- Aug 15, 2014 – Awarded schools notified
- Sept 5, 2014 – submission of MOA (including Wellness Survey and 5 person Team)
- Sept 10, 2014 – Webinar for grant funded schools
- Dec 12, 2014 – Mid Project report due
- May 29, 2015 – Final Project report due
Questions??? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions - Tip Sheet