Making Health a Priority and Meaning It
Thanks to our sponsors, Action for Healthy Kids has provided $8.7 million in grants to schools since 2009 to help them accomplish their student wellness goals. See the full list of grant-funded schools for the 2019-2020 school year!
Read on for grant descriptions and applications, sign up for our emails to stay up to date, and find out how schools like yours are putting their grants to work.
Due to COVID-19, some grant application deadlines have changed. See below for specific deadlines for each grant type, and for steps on how to apply.
Check out our Emergency Meal Distribution Equipment Grants to support school meals during closures during COVID-19.
Game On Grants
In order to get every kid healthy and ready to learn, our Game On grants provide funding, support, and resources for schools to increase physical activity and nutrition initiatives while promoting students’ social emotional learning.
Game On grants available:
•$1000 physical activity OR nutrition projects (PreK-12 schools in all states are eligible to apply) - APPLICATIONS DUE MAY 29
•$2,500 for physical activity AND nutrition projects (PreK-12 schools in all states are eligible to apply) - APPLICATIONS DUE MAY 29
•$2,500 for nutrition only: requires two nutrition projects, one being an evidence-based nutrition education curriculum (PreK-8 schools are eligible to apply in the following states: CA, NE, AR, TX, CO, KS, TN, PA, WI, MN, IA. See application instruction guide for priority cities.) - APPLICATIONS DUE AUGUST 31
- Watch the Game On Grant webinar to learn more.
- Complete the first step of the application process and take the 3-minute School Health Survey.
- Instruction Guide: Game On – $2,500 Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Instruction Guide: Game On – $1,000 Nutrition
- Instruction Guide: Game On – $1,000 Physical Activity
- Instruction Guide: Game On- $2,500 Nutrition
Parents for Healthy Kids Grants
Due to COVID-19 and unforeseen shifts in funding beyond AFHK’s control, we unfortunately can no longer offer Parents for Healthy Kids grants for the 2020-2021 school year.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or negative impact this may have on your planning for school health projects and budgets. However, we encourage you to review the other grant opportunities and work with your school to apply!
Game On: Social Emotional Health Grants (*Military Communities Only*)
With a focus on school-family partnerships, Game On: Social Emotional Health Grants explore the mind-body connection between physical and emotional health and help to develop resiliency in children through the implementation of programs and best practices in school and at home.
School-family partners will implement comprehensive programming that uses physical activity, play, nutrition and other outlets to facilitate social emotional and character development in school and at home through the exploration of safe and supportive learning environments and experiential learning.
Awards range from $2,500 - $5,000.
ELIGIBILITY: Pre-K-12 schools serving military families (20%+ students enrolled from military family) or with strong connection to the military community are eligible to apply.
Schools serving students with 75% or more of students eligible for free/reduced-priced meals and/or located in CA, FL, IL, MD, NC and TX may receive priority. Multiple schools in one district applying for the same or similar projects are encouraged.
If interested in applying or with questions, connect with Program Manager, Ashley Green, at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss eligibility. APPLICATIONS DUE AUGUST 31
See instructions below for officially applying via the School Portal. These paper versions will help you and your school health team get your thoughts together.
General Grant Resources
- Step-by-step guide on how to complete a grant application.
- AFHK School Grants Frequently Asked Questions
- Learn more about the AFHK school support services for grantees.
- Find out how AFHK nutrition grants help promote the social emotional learning (SEL) of students.
- Find out how AFHK physical activity grants help promote the social emotional learning (SEL) of students.
Questions? Contact your AFHK State Coordinator or email ContactUs@ActionforHealthyKids.org.
Applying for a grant is easy
Steps to Apply
- Determine which grant(s) your school will apply for. Review the application and application instructions under School Grant Resources.
- Game On grant applicants must complete the School Health Survey as the first step.
- Register for the grant webinar(s) to learn about specific grant details and eligibility requirements, and receive helpful tips for applying. See School Grant Resources for webinar registration links.
- We recommend that you complete a paper application (see above for School Grant Resources) with your school health team prior to submitting your application online. Once the paper application is complete, it will take ~30 minutes to submit online.
- Log in to or create an account on the school portal. Applications must be submitted online.
- Once there, connect your account with the school(s) for which you are applying. To do this, click on My Profile, then the Add or Manage Schools button.
- Click on Grants, and select the grant(s) for which your school would like to apply. Then, complete your application!
Grant Funding Catalyzes Community Support for Health
From Rooftop to Recess
Sign up for emails to stay up to date about future grants:Sign up!