Washington Action for Healthy Kids is a statewide partnership dedicated to improving the health and educational performance of children by supporting schools to educate the whole child, mind and body. We partner with students, families, schools, non-profits, businesses, state and federal agencies to improve access to nutrition, physical activity, and comprehensive health and physical education. We aim to to ensure that all kids eat right, are active every day, ready to learn, and empowered to make healthy choices. This is accomplished through the exchange of information; the creation and sharing of resources; and by enhancing represented organization's capacity to partner with students, families, and schools to improve school wellness.
Announcing WA-AFHK's new Coordinator, Carolyn Kramer
Carolyn Kramer, MPH joined WA-Action for Healthy Kids in 2008 and is now delighted to serves as their State Coordinator. She is an experienced public health and education leader with more than 15 years of experience planning, assessing, managing, and evaluating school and public health programs in the Seattle area with a focus on reducing educationally relevant health disparities. In addition to her role as Coordinator in Washington State, Carolyn runs her own consulting firm, CK Consulting with on-going projects supporting nutrition, physical activity, wellness policies, coordinated school health and public health needs assessments. Click here to read more about Carolyn.
Our partnership currently includes representatives from the Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, Department of Health , Department of Agriculture , the Childhood Obesity Prevention Coalition, University of Washington Center for Public Health and Nutrition, Washington Dairy Council, Washington State University Extension,Community Schools Collaboration, Washington Association of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, and the Northwest Community Action Center. Regional leaders currently represent Okanogon, Yakima, and King County. We are actively recruiting volunteers to support additional regions.
Our goals are to:
- Support healthy living and empower students, families, and school leaders to create positive changes in their school to impact health and educational success.
- Support implementation of Coordinated School health
- Increase access to comprehensive health and fitness education in all schools.
- Promote school wellness programs such as: Team Nutrition, Fuel Up to Play 60, Students Taking Charge, Farm to School, and Alliance to a Healthier Generation.
- Recruit active volunteers across the state to help create healthy schools for our children.
- Washington Action for Healthy Kids Winter 2012 Newsletter
- Research Review: School Based Health Interventions and Academic Achievement
- Breakfast = Achievement - A fact sheet about breakfast with ideas on how to make it happen in schools.
- Recess Before Lunch - A fact sheet about the benefits of having recess before lunch.
- Show Me the Money: A Guide to Selling Healthy Foods at School - This guide uses the lessons learned from implementing the seven revenue replacement workshops.