Welcome to the Indiana Team
Action for Healthy Kids is the nation’s leading nonprofit and largest volunteer network fighting childhood obesity and undernourishment by partnering with schools to improve nutrition and physical activity to help our kids learn to eat right, be active every day, and be ready to learn.
The Indiana Action for Healthy Kids Team continues to provide resources to Hoosier schools to create viable wellness initiatives in their schools.
Indiana, It’s Time to Get in The Action
This is the year to make health and wellness a priority at your school. Here at Action for Healthy Kids we’ve created the tools to make it a no brainer, whether you want to host a taste test, school garden or rev up recess event! When you use our Get In The Action Center to register a health and wellness events, it’s as easy a 1, 2, 3!
1. Look through our volunteer opportunity templates. We provide step-by-step instructions on how to get started, suggested activities at each event, and recommended materials – or create your own.
2. Recruit volunteers using our example social media posts, flyers, and emails.
You can be the wellness champion your school needs to make a healthy difference in the lives of your students!
What Health Resources Would be Most Helpful in Your Classroom?
Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health is committed to improving childhood nutrition and health, which is why we have partnered with Andrew Luck to develop Change the Play. With Andrew's help, we're encouraging kids to challenge themselves to make better choices when it comes to food and exercise with an eight-week challenge that works at home and in the classroom. In 2015, we plan to expand Change the Play into an ongoing online resource for health and wellness information and activities throughout the year. To ensure that we are developing a resource that is as useful as possible, we are looking for feedback about what kind of health and nutrition content you are most interested in, and how you might use it.
We encourage you to complete this quick survey to let us know how we can be the best partner for the teachers and families of Indiana by November 4, 2014.
2013-2014 Healthy Hoosier School Award
The Healthy Hoosier School Award was developed by the Indiana Action for Healthy Kids Team. This award honors Indiana schools that have wellness policies and educational programs in place to promote proper nutrition and increased physical activity among their students and staff. The winners are selected for their exemplary level of commitment to create an environment that encourages children to have healthy habits. Schools have the opportunity to receive a gold, silver or bronze level award.
To find out who were the 2013-2014 Healthy Hoosier School Award winners, click here to view a complete list.
2014-2015 Smart Snacks in Schools
Beginning the 2014-15 school year, all schools must begin implementing USDA’s Smart Snacks in School rules. See the outline below regarding the details. If you have any questions, please contact Allie Caito-Sipe at
· The Smart Snack standards apply to:
- All food or beverages sold during the school day – from midnight the night before until 30 minutes after the end of school.
- Food or beverages sold as a la carte, in vending machines, through fundraisers, or any other venue that sells to students during the school day.
· The Smart Snacks standards do not apply to food or beverages:
- Brought to school for lunch or special events
- Sold in after-school bake sales and after-school fundraisers
- Sold with the intent to consume after-school (like frozen cookie dough)
- Sold to adults only
· During this time, the school must make sure all food and beverages sold to students
meet a number of general food and beverage standards and specific nutrient standards.
· There are only 2 exempt fundraisers allowed per school building, per year. This means
only 2 fundraisers will be able to sell food or beverages that do not meet the nutrient
standards for 1 day each. Or 1 fundraiser can operate for 2 days.
Save the Date - Indiana Happenings
Indiana Association of Health, PE, Recreation & Dance (IAHPERD) State Conference, November 5-7, 2014 at Wyndham Indianapolis West, Indianapolis, Indiana.
Indiana School Health Conference, June 16-17, 2015 at Indianapolis Marriott North, Indianapolis, Indiana.
There are many opportunities to get involved with Action for Healthy Kids in Indiana--from becoming a team member, to attending Action for Healthy Kids’ events, to making a financial contribution--you can help create a safer environment for our kids!