2012-2013 Healthy Hoosier School Awards--Apply Now
What is the Healthy Hoosier School Award?
The Healthy Hoosier School Award was developed by the Indiana Action for Healthy Kids Team and is sponsored by IU Health. This award honors Indiana schools that have policies and educational programs in place to promote proper nutrition and increased physical activity among their students. The winners are selected for their exemplary level of commitment to create an environment that encourages children to have healthy habits. Schools have the opportunity to receive a gold, silver or bronze level award.
Why should my school apply?
- Opportunity for your school to receive a monetary award and recognition for their commitment to addressing the health needs of students
- Use the responses from the application as a school wellness assessment
- Applying for this award may help you secure future grants to assist with your school wellness initiatives
Looking for tips to improve your Healthy Hoosier School award score, check out some tips here.
Steps to Apply
- You may download the paper application here so you can work with your team to develop your concept before submitting it online. (NOTE: paper applications will not be accepted. Please make sure you submit your final application online.)
Applications must be submitted online. Click here to access the online submission portal.
- Once the paper application is complete, it will take ~30 minutes to submit online.
Applications must be submitted online by May 24, 2013 (note: Deadline extended!)
Only one application per school building may be submitted.
Nominate a School Wellness Champion Today!
The Governor & Cheri Daniels School Health Award recognizes an individual who has demonstrated leadership and dedication to promoting school health and wellness activities in Indiana schools. Learn more here.
Join IN AFHK at an Indiana Fever Game this summer!
Looking for something fun to do with your family this summer while supporting a good cause? Join the Indiana AFHK team at the Indiana Fever Game on Saturday June 22th vs. the Chicago Sky at 7:00 PM. Click here to learn more.
Achieving Healthy Kids: Boosting Brain Power through Movement in Schools--May 16, 2013
Join us to discuss how movement during school can optimize kid's focus and learning, recommendations for curriculum and practices based on scientific principles, and the merit behind programs such as BOKS.
Thursday, May 16, 2013 9-11 a.m.
Indianapolis Public Library, Clowes Auditorium, 2nd floor
40 E. St. Clair St., Indianapolis, IN 46206
Welcome to the Indiana Team
Action for Healthy Kids is the nation’s leading nonprofit and largest volunteer network fighting childhood obesity and undernourishment by partnering with schools to improve nutrition and physical activity to help our kids learn to eat right, be active every day, and be ready to learn.
The Indiana Action for Healthy Kids Team continues to provide resources to Hoosier schools to create viable wellness initiatives in their schools.
In its largest initiative, the IN Team annually awards schools through the Healthy Hoosier School Award. Entering into its eighth year, the Team was able to honor 113 Hoosier Schools for creating healthy schools and healthy students. Click here to view a complete list of 2010-2011 Healthy Hoosier School Award winners.
Our goals are to:
- Train schools on using Fuel Up to Play 60 to increase awareness of wellness programs in schools.
- Raise funds to support trainings, equipment, and wellness programs for schools across the state.
- Recruit community members to become change agents for health in their school communities.
- Host a Spring/Summer 2012 Summit to recognize all Healthy Hoosier School Awardwinners.
There are many opportunities to get involved with Action for Healthy Kids in Indiana--from becoming a team member, to attending Action for Healthy Kids’ events, to making a financial contribution--you can help create a safer environment for our kids!
If you feel compelled to lend your voice to one of most important issues of our time, and would like to take that first step towards creating a healthier environment for our kids, join the Action for Healthy Kids community by taking the Every Kid Healthy Pledge on the left-hand side of the page.
Team Nutrition is an initiative of the USDA Food and Nutrition Service which supports the Child Nutrition Programs through training and technical assistance for foodservice, nutrition education for children and their caregivers, and school and community support for healthy eating and physical activity. Team Nutrition's Goal is to improve children's lifelong eating and physical activity habits by using the principles of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and MyPlate.
To learn more, click here http://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/about.html
To learn more about Team Nutrition through the Department of Education, click the link below