Welcome to the Indiana Team
Action for Healthy Kids is the nation’s leading nonprofit and largest volunteer network fighting childhood obesity and undernourishment by partnering with schools to improve nutrition and physical activity to help our kids learn to eat right, be active every day, and be ready to learn.
The Indiana Action for Healthy Kids Team continues to provide resources to Hoosier schools to create viable wellness initiatives in their schools.
2013-2014 Healthy Hoosier School Award
The Healthy Hoosier School Award was developed by the Indiana Action for Healthy Kids Team. This award honors Indiana schools that have wellness policies and educational programs in place to promote proper nutrition and increased physical activity among their students and staff. The winners are selected for their exemplary level of commitment to create an environment that encourages children to have healthy habits. Schools have the opportunity to receive a gold, silver or bronze level award.
To find out who were the 2013-2014 Healthy Hoosier School Award winners, click here to view a complete list.
Building a Foundation for Quality PE Webinar
For many teachers, the first few weeks of school are an emotional rollercoaster. So much to prepare for, so much to do! We all know it’s important to establish a positive learning environment from the very first minute with our students; yet how exactly do we accomplish that? How do we set the right tone, introduce learning objectives, establish protocols for class management, and foster an atmosphere of cooperation and trust?
Attend this free SPARK webinar and leave with strategies and activities that lay a solid foundation for student learning, ready to build upon. Brick by brick, your program will grow the entire year!
2014-2015 Smart Snacks in Schools
Beginning the 2014-15 school year, all schools must begin implementing USDA’s Smart Snacks in School rules. See the outline below regarding the details. If you have any questions, please contact Allie Caito-Sipe at
· The Smart Snack standards apply to:
- All food or beverages sold during the school day – from midnight the night before until 30 minutes after the end of school.
- Food or beverages sold as a la carte, in vending machines, through fundraisers, or any other venue that sells to students during the school day.
· The Smart Snacks standards do not apply to food or beverages:
- Brought to school for lunch or special events
- Sold in after-school bake sales and after-school fundraisers
- Sold with the intent to consume after-school (like frozen cookie dough)
- Sold to adults only
· During this time, the school must make sure all food and beverages sold to students
meet a number of general food and beverage standards and specific nutrient standards.
· There are only 2 exempt fundraisers allowed per school building, per year. This means
only 2 fundraisers will be able to sell food or beverages that do not meet the nutrient
standards for 1 day each. Or 1 fundraiser can operate for 2 days.
There are many opportunities to get involved with Action for Healthy Kids in Indiana--from becoming a team member, to attending Action for Healthy Kids’ events, to making a financial contribution--you can help create a safer environment for our kids!