Action for Healthy Kids is the nation’s leading non-profit and largest volunteer network fighting childhood obesity and undernourishment by partnering with schools to improve nutrition and physical activity to help our kids learn to eat right, be active every day, and be ready to learn.
Our goals are to:
- Provide local opportunities for Idaho parents, teachers, school leaders, and community members to get involved through seven regional teams across the state
- Equip regional leaders with Action for Healthy Kids resources that engage parents and students as advocates for healthier schools
- Advocate for Recess Before Lunch programs and are interested in providing education and support to schools wishing to experience the benefits of offering recess prior to lunch service.
There are many opportunities to get involved with Action for Healthy Kids in Idaho--from becoming a team member, to attending Action for Healthy Kids’ events, to making a financial contribution--you can help create a safer environment for our kids!
If you feel compelled to lend your voice to one of most important issues of our time, and would like to take that first step towards creating a healthier environment for our kids, join the Action for Healthy Kids community by taking the Every Kid Healthy Pledge on the left-hand side of the page.
Our Favorite Resources
- Idaho Dairy Council is a non-profit nutrition education organization serving the state of Idaho. Our mission is to provide science-based nutrition education to ensure educators, health professionals, scientists, media, and consumers have a credible body of nutrition knowledge and resources to use for nutrition education and health recommendations. We strive to help Idahoans adopt healthier lifestyles. Nutrition education materials and curriculum is offered to Idaho educators and health professionals at no charge.
- Parents are the Power! A toolkit that assists parent teams to create healthy changes in their school within the areas of nutrition and physical activity/education. Also available in Spanish.
- Idaho Recess Before Lunch Flyer Recess before lunch can help kids eat a healthier lunch and reduce food waste. Click the link to find out more about our Recess Before Lunch initiative!
- Idaho School Wellness Policy Implementation Guide This guide offers practical information about developing health policies; ensuring that mealtime is a pleasant experience for children; offering nutritious food choices in a variety of settings; and involving children, parents, school personnel and the community in the process of promoting physical exercise, good body image, and healthy practices at home and at school.
- Promoting Healthy School Parties Tip sheet on how to make school parties healthier
- Fuel Up to Play 60. It’s fun. It’s free. And most importantly, it empowers students to create and implement activities that reward them for making healthy choices and inspiring change in their school. Students participate in fun Challenges, track their own healthy eating and physical activity, work collaboratively with adults to implement and complete Plays from the Playbook and earn fun online rewards! Competitive funding is also available to help schools implement the program. Find more Fuel Up to Play 60 resources at our partner site http://www.FuelUptoPlay60.com.
- Color Me Healthy is a nutrition program developed for preschool age children in childcare settings. Childcare settings have been overlooked in the fight against childhood obesity and provide an opportunity to teach children healthy behaviors. Color Me Healthy consists of interactive lessons that teach children about eating fruits and vegetables of different colors and physical activity.