Action for Healthy Kids is the nation’s leading nonprofit and largest volunteer network fighting childhood obesity and undernourishment by partnering with schools to improve nutrition and physical activity to help our kids learn to eat right, be active every day, and be ready to learn.
The Connecticut Action for Healthy Kids Team is dedicated to educating and engaging teachers, parents and community volunteers in promoting and advocating for healthy schools. We work closely with PE and health teachers, school food services directors and other healthcare professionals to encourage healthier habits for students and their families throughout the state. We advocate for healthy school breakfast and innovative practices to increase school breakfast opportunities. With funding awarded through the School Grants for Healthy Kids initiative, we are currently working with 7 schools in Meriden and Windham to increase participation in school breakfast.
Our goals are to:
- Encourage Game On! The Ultimate Wellness Challenge as an effective and successful tool to implement school wellness initiatives and policies.
- Educate parents on healthy living and how to support healthier schools.
- Recruit active volunteers across the state to help create healthy schools for our children.
- Implement Fuel Up to Play 60 to increase awareness of wellness programs in schools.
- Encourage school programming during Every Kid Healthy Week.
Are you interested in being an advocate for school wellness? Do you want to connect with other individuals and organizations that share your passion? Have you wanted to get involved with Action for Healthy Kids but didn’t know how?
There are many opportunities to get involved with Action for Healthy Kids in Connecticut--from becoming a team member, to attending Action for Healthy Kids’ events, to making a financial contribution--you can help create a safer environment for our kids!
If you feel compelled to lend your voice to one of most important issues of our time, and would like to take that first step towards creating a healthier environment for our kids, join the Action for Healthy Kids community by taking the Every Kid Healthy Pledge on the left-hand side of the page.