Action for Healthy Kids is the nation’s leading non-profit and largest volunteer network fighting childhood obesity and undernourishment by partnering with schools to improve nutrition and physical activity to help our kids learn to eat right, be active every day, and be ready to learn. The Colorado Team's focus for the 2012-2013 school year is on parent engagement.
THE PARENT NETWORK is a community designed by Colorado Action for Healthy Kids to bring parents together around school wellness issues in their own districts and throughout the state. Through our parent wellness roundtable events, a parent education series, shared successes, and social media, the goal of The Parent Network is to educate, empower, and mobilize parents statewide with the necessary resources and support to take action in the areas of nutrition and physical activity in their own schools.
Follow The Parent Network on Facebook!
Nominations now open: 2013 "Parents are the Power" Healthy School Hero Colorado Awards
Nominate a parent in your school community!
At the core of Colorado school communities are committed and passionate parents who want to make schools a healthier place—for children and families. The 2013 Colorado AFHK Parents are the Power Healthy School Hero Awards will recognize 3-6 parent volunteers for their exceptional dedication and service towards the vision, mission, and goals of Action for Healthy Kids through volunteer work in their school community. Award winners will receive a $500 health and wellness grant for their schools.
Deadline for nominations: May 28, 2013.
Download the requirements and nomination form.
Team Healthy Kids Colorado
- $25 provides a healthy breakfast at school for one month for a child
- $50 supports fitness equipment for one year for a P.E. class
- $100 provides a school with a nutrition education program
- $500 helps teens install a wellness center in their school
- A 5K in beautiful City Park with a one-mile shortcut run for kids and families!
- Marathon Relay – Five friends run Denver's only marathon relay!
- Urban 10 Miler – A fast, fun, challenging race. Epic stadium run through.
- Half Marathon – Welcome to the urban jungle: runs through the Denver Zoo!
- Marathon – 26.2 miles at 5,280 feet altitude – and zero attitude!
Two easy steps to join our team:
- Register for the race and select "Action for Healthy Kids" as your charity partner of choice.
- Create your personal fundraising page with Team Healthy Kids. Click the "Join Now" button to quickly and easily join our team and set up your own FirstGiving page.
$500 Stipends for Parents to Help Launch Fuel Up to Play 60
Share HEALTHY Food & Activity at School
Birthdays, Celebrations, Family Events, Rewards, Before and After-School Activities, Fundraisers, Fitness Breaks
- Attend an upcoming event.
- Deliver a Share Healthy Food & Activity at School Presentation at your school or in your district.
- Introduce a proven wellness program such as Game On! The Ultimate Wellness Challenge or Students Taking Charge to your school or district.
- Make a donation to support the team’s work.